Content about Man Made Disaster

January 6, 2014

Marley Building Supply in Brooklyn, N.Y., erupted into flames over the weekend, and local news accounts described plumes of smoke that reached hundreds of feet into the cold night sky. 

December 9, 2013

Plainview, N.Y.-based Trio Hardware won the Independent We Stand's third-annual Indie Awards, which honors small businesses across the country as part of the organization's advocacy efforts. 

More than 32,000 votes were counted for more than 250 businesses; 2,024 of them (10% of Plainview's population) went to Trio Hardware, a fixture of its Long Island community for 50 years.

September 16, 2013

Eco Building Products, Inc. is shipping another whole-house defensive house pack to Julie Kellner, who lost her home in Point Pleasant Beach, N.J., during Hurricane Sandy.

The pre-cut house comes with roof and floor trusses and will be the first Eco Red Shield home constructed in the region as part of the rebuilding effort.

September 10, 2013

When it comes to specifying insulation, the type of product isn’t really an issue as far as the building codes are concerned. The codes don’t really care.

August 5, 2013

In response to high risk of forest fires in the region, Weyerhaeuser Company is closing its Oregon tree farms to public access.

Effective immediately, all statewide Weyerhaeuser tree farms will remain closed until rainfall and temperature conditions improve. As an exception, those in Clatsop and Tillamook Counties will remain open for non-moterized recreation access.

August 2, 2013

Eco Building Products is opening up a new Eco Red Shield coating facility in Fairlawn, N.J., this August. The new location, featuring rail service and a lumberyard, comes in time for the state's Sandy Rebuild residential recovery and mold mitigation effort.

Additionally, Eco Red Shield protective lumber will also be hitting shelves around the Tri-State area, providing an alternative to mold, fire and rot-prone raw lumber.

July 26, 2013

Home Depot is recalling 107,000 units of Soleil portable fan heaters, after the product generated 464 melting-related reports. 

The plastic housing of the fan has displayed a tendency to melt and catch fire during use, though no injuries or property damage have been reported yet.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission says it's urging consumers to return them to Home Depot for a full refund.

July 10, 2013

Is there a clear way out of your building in case of an emergency? Do you know where all the exits are in case your first choice is blocked or too crowded?

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has issued a national memorandum on exit routes, directing inspectors to carefully examine whether employers have provided and maintained an adequate means of exit from work areas, the agency announced on June 17, 2013.

May 23, 2013

Insolroll Window Shading Systems, of Louisville, Colo., announced a recall of its Insolroll Solar Powered and Rechargeable Motor Roller Shades due to a fire hazard. 

The voluntary recall affectes about 1,500 units sold at independent window covering installer retailers nationwide from June 2012 through March 2013 for $400 to $700 per window shade. 

January 15, 2013

An Ace Hardware store that burned down in an Atlanta suburb is being inundated with offers of help and free meals from local citizens and businesses, according to an article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

January 3, 2013

An egg incubator sold at certain farm and ranch retailers and manufactured by Houghton, Iowa-based Hawkeye Steel Products' Brower divison is being recalled.

The base can ignite during use, posing a fire hazard to the consumer, according to a release from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. No injuries have been reported, but Brower received three reports of fires, resulting in property damage.

December 27, 2012

 

A price index of lumber and panels used in actual construction for Dec. 21, 2012

December 17, 2012

Dating back almost to the Great Fire of Chicago, Stauber’s Ace Hardware turned 140 years old in 2012.

Founded in 1872 by Louis Stauber, a Swiss immigrant, in Chicago one year after the Chicago fire ravaged the city. The store was relocated more than 100 years ago to the Northcenter area of Chicago, where it currently does business today. 

November 26, 2012

The Consumer Product Safety Commission issued a recall notice for Master Forge Gas Grills, a $270 product sold at Lowe’s from November 2011 through May 2012.

If improperly installed, the hose connecting the gas tank and regulator to the burner control can touch the burner box and cause the hose to melt and rupture when the grill is lit. This poses a fire and burn hazard. 

November 14, 2012

A fire that that heavily damaged Burton Bros. Hardware in Seaford, Del., sent one of the store owners to the hospital for smoke inhalation, according to an article in the News Journal.

November 2, 2012

A fire that broke out on Oct. 27 caused serious damage to an Ace Hardware store in Covington Township, Pa., according to an article in the Moscow Villager. 

Firefighters from several local fire companies were called in to fight the blaze, which started at approximately 8:45 p.m. at the entrance to the store. Initial reports pointed to an electrical cause.

October 12, 2012

Harrison’s Hardware, a fixture in downtown Milford, Conn., until a fire forced it to close six years ago, will be resurrected -- in parts -- by a gourmet pizza chain.

July 31, 2012

A blaze that destroyed a 197-unit apartment building in St. Louis, Mo., displacing 250 residents, has called into question the materials used in the construction of the four-story building. An article on the fire in the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that the structure was built to code, had working sprinklers, and so-called "draft stops" to slow the spread of fire.

July 16, 2012

A fire that broke out on July 14 at Padula Lumber in Coyote, Calif., brought 30 firefighters, nine fire engines and two trucks to contain the blaze, according to an article in the San Jose Mercury News. One building was gutted and another seriously damaged, the newspaper reported. But owner Doug Morse told Home Channel News that the extent of the damage was pretty minimal. 

July 9, 2012

The state of Alabama suspended its 10% sales tax on emergency preparedness supplies last weekend, and hardware stores stocked up on fire extinguishers, flashlights, batteries, coolers, tarps and anything else that qualified, according to an article in the Anniston Star.

At Ace Hardware in Oxford, Ala., first aid kits were on display, along with carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.

May 29, 2012

A man who claimed his friend’s hardware store was being driven out of business had been arrested for torching a Home Depot in Shoreline, Wash., a town 9 miles north of Seattle.

As reported in the Seattle Post Intelligencer, Randol Stebner, 53, started two small fires near the Aurora Avenue North store on May 14. According to police documents, Stebner admitted to lighting the fires and said he’d do it again.

April 5, 2012

Louisville Ace Hardware, a Nebraska dealer that closed after a fire destroyed the store, has decided not to reopen due to the costs imposed by various government regulations.

February 15, 2012

In a blaze captured on YouTube, a Stamford, Vt., facility owned by Eagle Lumber went up in flames in one of the biggest fires in the city's history. 

February 14, 2012

Sparks from a panel saw may have caused approximately $85,000 worth of damage to a Northern California lumberyard, according to an article in the Marin Independent Journal.

© 2014 Home Channel News. All Rights Reserved.