- The Top 100 delivers growth
- Venhuizen's rule: no standing still
- Tile Shop reports gains, sees work ahead
- Christopher Durham named VP retail brands at Theory House
- Market Recap: RISI Crow's Construction Materials Cost Index
- Whirlpool named Homes for Our Troops official appliance sponsor
- Lennar's earnings up 38.4% in Q3
The unemployment rate fell by 0.4 percentage points to 9.4% in December, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The government also reported non-farm payroll employment increased by 103,000. Employment rose in leisure and hospitality and in health care, but was little changed in other major industries, according to the Friday morning release. The retail trade showed a gain of 12,000 jobs in December, and it has risen by 495,000 since a recent low in September 2009.