- Fifty winning retailers, state by state
- NextGen home at 2011 IBS donated to veteran
- At Ace Convention, Griffith points to sales momentum
- 2012 Hardware Store All-Stars
- Ace Hardware recognizes "cool" stores
- Hardware store all-stars: Idaho, Illinois and Indiana
- Florida man buys back family hardware store
Ace Hardware in Largo, Fla., a 36-year-old business, closed on June 29, according to an article in the St. Petersburg Times.
Owner Bob Hoag, a former hospital administrator from Michigan, and his wife, Mary Jane Hoag, purchased the store from the original owners four years ago.
Business began declining in mid-2007, Bob Hoag said, and has yet to recover. A trend toward Internet shopping, nearby road construction and rising rents in the store’s shopping plaza all contributed to a more difficult business climate, he said.