- Chris Yenrick accepts the gavel as 2014 NLBMDA chairman
- Pat Thorne Lumber Co. honored by HCN
- Boise Cascade appoints Karen Gowland to its board
- Lumber, laws and lessons learned
- Ackroyd poised for Ace chair in 2014
- China Ceramics announces board member resignations
- Christmas card captures the year that was
Jonas Kelly, of JAY-K Independent Lumber Co. Inc, is now presiding over the NRLA as its 2014 chairman.
Jonas is the grandson of JAY-K founder Joseph Kelly and has played an active role in the family business since the age of 13, interrupted only by his college years at Hobart College and year-long tenure at Somerville Lumber shortly thereafter.
In addition to his role at JAY-K, Kelly has also chaired Young Leaders United Volunteer Day, is a board member of Christmas in April, a board member (and former president) of Oneida County Habitat for Humanity, a former president of the Central New York Retail Lumber Dealers Association and a current NRLA and CNYRLDA board member.
Kelly helped his father and uncle weather big-box competition in the late 1990s, which came in the form of a new Home Depot and Lowe's moving into their neighborhood.
"People always ask, "What changes did you make?" he told the NRLA. "The answer is: Instead of home runs, we made a thousand base hits."
Kelly received a Welcome Reception at the 2013 NRLA Annual Meeting in Cooperstown, N.Y. on Oct. 11-12. His brother, Adam Kelly, delivered a slideshow tribute to Jonas.