- Fifty winning retailers, state by state
- D.C., Colorado top LEED list
- Hardware store all-stars: Idaho, Illinois and Indiana
- A.O. Smith earns green designation in Johnson City, Tenn.
- Poll: Americans need incentives to buy green
- Beacon Roofing Supply reports sales declines
- Lowe's launches recycling centers
Home builder KB Home will build new homes exclusively with Energy Star-qualified refrigerators, dishwashers and laundry appliances from Whirlpool. The arrangement will begin in 2008.
In a prepared statement, Jeffrey Mezger, president and CEO of KB Home, said the move is the latest effort to build homes that are environmentally friendly. “This action will also help our homeowners join in the global effort to reduce carbon emissions and conserve natural resources, while achieving substantial savings in utility costs over the long term,” he said.
The Los Angeles-based home builder has built more than 42,000 Energy Star-designated homes in cooperation with the EPA and the U.S. Department of Energy.
“We applaud KB Home's leadership in ensuring that energy-efficient appliances are standard in the thousands of new homes the company builds each year," said Sam Rashkin, director of the Energy Star for Homes program for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.