- Fifty winning retailers, state by state
- Ace addresses 2011 strategy, supply chain
- At Ace Convention, Griffith points to sales momentum
- Tis the season for shipping strategy
- Mahurin’s next stop: Orchard Supply Hardware
- Do it Best names three new merchants
- Hardware store all-stars: Ark., Calif. and Colo.
Total existing-home sales, defined as completed transactions that include single-family homes, townhomes, condominiums and co-ops, increased 4.3% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 4.57 million in January from a downwardly revised 4.38 million-unit pace in December and are 0.7% above a spike to 4.54 million in January 2011.
The NAR figures were released Wednesday morning.
“The uptrend in home sales is in line with all of the underlying fundamentals -- pent-up household formation, record-low mortgage interest rates, bargain home prices, sustained job creation and rising rents," said Lawrence Yun, NAR chief economist.
Total housing inventory at the end of January fell 0.4% to 2.31 million existing homes available for sale, which represents a 6.1-month supply at the current sales pace, down from a 6.4-month supply in December.