- Fifty winning retailers, state by state
- Home Depot's Menear honored by City of Hope
- NextGen home at 2011 IBS donated to veteran
- Hardware store all-stars: Idaho, Illinois and Indiana
- New American Home to entertain at IBS
- Beacon Roofing Supply reports sales declines
- Economic signals still mixed at HIRI conference
The incoming chairman of the Florida Building Material Association (FBMA) spelled out his top 10 goals in a recent note to his membership. Among them: a double-digit percentage gain in FBMA membership and the introduction of a fishing and skeet-shooting event.
George Fishtorn II, general manager of Kimal Lumber & Hardware, with locations in Nokomis, Englewood and Venice, will begin his term Jan. 1. Fishtorn told Home Channel News he was "extremely honored" to hold the position with FBMA, which was established in 1921.
In his note to the association, Fishtorn pointed to his top FBMA related goals:
1. Increase FBMA membership by 10%, with a stretch goal of 20%;
2. Continue regional meetings, one-per-quarter minimum with a stretch goal of six;
3. Introduce two new outings: one fishing expedition and one skeet-shooting event;
4. Travel the state with Bill Tucker, meet as many members as possible and work hard on their needs;
5. Maintain a balanced budget;
6. Establish a Web-based recommendations box, if you want to leave your contact info fine, if not that’s OK as well;
7. A well-structured line of communication with all directors, committee members and association members;
8. Find and promote member benefit programs; we have many now but we want to make sure you are all aware of them;
9. Listen more … Talk less; and
10. Be the best I can be for my family, my friends and my industry.
Fishtorn is a third-generation lumber dealer, who moved to Florida shortly after his family lumber business in Northwest Indiana closed its doors in 1994. In Florida, he was hired by Kimal and worked his way up the ranks from the window division to general manager. He credits his father, George Fishtorn, for his success in the business.