- Research: Brand beats price as purchase motivator
- NPD U.S. Economic Perception Indicator
- Hardware stores ‘gaining momentum,' says NPD study
- Economic signals still mixed at HIRI conference
- Grills, by the numbers
- Stat Flash: Economic Perception remains a concern
- Larry Stone shares "Five Traits of Leadership"
Retail sales of pizza pans grew 7% in the 12 months ending March 2011, compared to the same time last year, signaling a consumer trend towards making pizzas at home, according to The NPD Group.
Metal pizza pans accounted for 64% of dollar sales during the 12-month period, according to NPD’s Retail Tracking Service. Stoneware/clay stone pizza pans, the second largest product segment, are outpacing sales of metal pans, however, with a 21% growth.
According to NPD’s National Eating Trends survey, pizzas prepared ‘in home’ increased to 6.4 billion in 2010 from 5.4 billion in 2009. In addition, 43% of U.S. consumers eat pizza at least once in a two-week period.