- Fifty winning retailers, state by state
- Mahurin’s next stop: Orchard Supply Hardware
- Orchard opens new store in Silicon Valley
- Hardware store held up in Salinas, Calif.
- Hardware store all-stars: Ark., Calif. and Colo.
- Sears taps former Lehman Brothers VP to lead Craftsman
- Orchard’s “super hardware” strategy
An article in the San Jose Mercury News reported that Orchard Supply Hardware is working to distinguish itself from big and small competitors.
In addition to introducing a new logo and a new brand name -- "Orchard" -- the San Jose, Calif.-based company intends to earn a reputation as the place for backyard home improvement.
According to Tom Carey, senior VP for Orchard, the 89-store chain anticipates growth, perhaps even at the rate of 10 to 15 stores a year.
"Hardware stores should be fun," Carey told MercuryNews.com in an article about the challenges and opportunities for the California hardware chain.