- Fifty winning retailers, state by state
- Education and motivation at the ProDealer Industry Summit
- Home Depot will hire 60,000 for spring push
- Lowe's shakes up in-store staffing
- 2012 Hardware Store All-Stars
- President Obama pays shopping visit to Toledo hardware store
- Organizational shake-up at Stock Building Supply
San Diego Basketball star Bill Walton, who rose to fame playing for the Boston Celtics and the Portland Trail Blazers, gave some advice on what to do “when the ball bounces the wrong way” during his Sept. 19 talk at the ProDealer Conference. Prematurely sidelined by foot injuries, Walton went on to build a career as a sportscaster and celebrity speaker, as well as fathering four sons.
Walton also reminisced about his days at Dixieline Lumber in San Diego, where the 15-year-old freckled redhead unloaded lumber as a part-time job.
The 11th Annual ProDealer Conference, sponsored by Home Channel News, kicked off with a City of Hope golf tournament. The first place team, winning with a score of 142, was Bruce Brushwood of Moulding & Millwork, Mark Donovan of Forest City Trading Group, Laura Dwyer of Dupont and Mike Fletcher of Moulding & Millwork. Bruce Brushwood was the long drive winner, and Grady Gennings of Orgill got closest to the pin.
The three-day conference, being held at Loews Coronado Bay Resort, continues tomorrow with sessions on diversity hiring, litigation risks, safety programs, commodity pricing and supply chain management. A panel of custom builders will also be featured.
The ProDealer Conference runs through Sept. 21.